Kaleidoscope Social Enterprise Ltd
Kaleidoscope, a Mutual Pathfinder, is a social enterprise that focuses on supporting local areas to deliver improved outcomes for people with learning disabilities. It provides information, advice and guidance, as well as support to a range of health and social care professionals, organisations, people with learning disabilities and families.
Kaleidoscope was established to ensure that the profile of people with learning disabilities and development of local services to meet their needs were maintained. It started trading in May 2011.
Kaleidoscope… is continuing to let the voices of people with a learning disability and family carers be heard.
Marcella Cooper, Family Carer in Barking and Dagenham
Kaleidoscope is engaged in a variety of projects, working with a host of different partners and organisations. With only one whole-time-equivalent member of staff, this social enterprise illustrates the impact passionate individuals can have.
For example, Kaleidoscope:
- has secured work with Cincinnati Children’s Hospital to be one of two UK representatives for Project SEARCH, an employment internship programme for people with learning disabilities.
- is developing a model of support and commissioning for clinical commissioning groups around delivery of services for, and with, people with learning disabilities
- is coordinating a London-wide learning disability family carer network
- is developing person centred approaches for learning disabled offenders with HMP Pentonville
- is carrying out a housing needs and capacity analysis with a London Borough
- is working with the Metropolitan Police on an Integrated Offender Management pilot.
I've never been one to shy away from hard work - any one of my colleagues past or present will tell you that and Kaleidoscope is no different. It isn't 'easy', but one of the things that motivates me is choosing to do things that hopefully will make a difference to people's lives.
Debbie Robinson, Kaleidoscope